Axel is a Belgian engine who participated in the Great Railway Show. He was a contender in the Great Race.
Axel, along with the other international engines, accidentally arrived on the Island of Sodor when the ferry they were travelling on stopped at Brendam Docks instead of the Mainland. He was the engine approached by the Dock Manager to explain their presence and was informed they had got off at the wrong place. Embarrassed, Axel proceeded to order the other engines back onto the ship.
Axel competed in the Great Race alongside Gordon, Flying Scotsman, Spencer and Etienne. He spent the majority of the race in last place, but after Scotsman slowed to express concerns on the explosion of Gordon (known as the Shooting Star at the time)'s boiler, he managed to overtake both Gresleys and finish third. He returned home after the show was over with the other international engines (bar Ashima).
Axel is a smooth, streamlined tender engine built for speed; his good looks and style have made him very popular with fans of steam. Effortlessly cool, he’ll be sure to win over more fans at the Great Railway Show.
Axel is based off of an NMBS/SNCB Type 12. One of these locomotives is preserved.
Axel is painted red with black and yellow lining, the same colour scheme as the Belgian flag.
Axel was also featured in a Meet the Contenders segment.
- Rob Rackstraw (UK/US)
- Axel is the second French-speaking engine in the series, the first being Millie and the third being Etienne.
- His whistle is Luke's in low pitch.
- Axel's Take-n-Play model has a few errors:
- His tender is backwards.
- He has buffers at the back of his cab above the magnet.
- His Take-n-Play prototype had Vinnie's tender repainted.
- His name is most likely derived from a photograph of his basis taken by Axel Vermeulen.
- Dock Manager:Where are you all going?
- Axel:To the Great Railway Show of course!
- Dock Manager:The Great Railway Show is not here, its happening on the Mainland. This is the Island of Sodor
- Axel:De Islônd ov... oops. Wrong stop!
- Axel tells the Dock Manager that he and the international engines are going to the Great Railway Show
|98462 and 87546 • The Workshop Engines • The Foreign Engines • Diesel • The Foreign Engine • The Derailed Engine • Jinty and Pug • The Diesel • The Scrapyard Engines • 199 • Gordon's Brothers • The Passing Diesel • Other Railway Diesels • King James I • Old Stuck-Up • Alfred and Judy • Toby's Brothers • 8783 • The Old Engine • The Highland Engines • The Diesel Shunter • 31120 • 10751 • Wilbert • Sixteen • Sixteen's Friends • Albert • Bahamas • D5705 • Lemberg • Pretty Polly • The Dukes • British Railways|
|Lady • Spencer • Hiro • Hiro's Friends • Connor • Caitlin • Stephen's Competitors • The Mainland Engines • Gator • Samson • The Great Railway Show Diesels|
|Logan • Sam|
|Ashima • Rajiv • Yong Bao • Vinnie • Carlos • Raul • Shane • Etienne • Frieda • Gina • Axel • Ivan|
|Silver Jubilee • Helena|
|Spencer's Special Coaches • Connor's Coaches • Caitlin's Coaches • Bradford|
|The Flying Thistle • Thirteen • The Fast Mail Train|