|As Good as Gordon|
October 3rd, 2004
As Good as Gordon is the eighteenth episode of the eighth season.
Gordon is pulling the Mayor of Sodor on an important trip and Emily is chosen to pull the express while he's away. Gordon brags that he can pull the express to Vicarstown and back before teatime, so Emily challenges that record. She collects the coaches and sets off before the brake coach is coupled on. She makes good time, and, on the journey back, gets cross at Edward for delaying her with his goods train. She later waits at Maithwaite for Bertie, but is so impatient she leaves too soon, ironically just as he pulls in. She soon has to take on water, but James is at the next standpipe and she goes on instead. She is approaching Brendam when she runs out of water and stops. James pulls her to Brendam and Emily offers to take his slow goods train. She later meets Thomas at a signal, and proudly announces she is learning patience.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Edward (does not speak)
- Bertie (does not speak)
- Henry (cameo)
- Percy (cameo)
- Toby (cameo)
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- Cranky (cameo)
- The Mayor of Sodor (mentioned)
- The Storyteller (deleted scene)
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Brendam Docks
- The Coaling Plant
- Gordon's Hill
- Maron (deleted scene)
- This is the 200th episode of the television series.
- In Denmark, this episode is called "Just as Good as Gordon". In the Netherlands, it is titled "Almost Gordon". The German title is "Emily's In a Hurry".
- Edward was pulling a goods train, so Emily and the express should have taken first priority.
- In the opening shot of Tidmouth Sheds, Gordon's wheels are derailed.
- Why would Bertie be a guaranteed connection with the express?
- Bertie has Caroline's horn sound.
- After James helps Emily to the docks he leaves to take the express, but then he is seen later helping Emily to the water tower.
- Emily has Henry's whistle sound.
- When the engines are at Tidmouth Sheds, Gordon's front bogie is derailed.