One fine morning, the Fat Controller is having the big station cleaned. All of the engines are very curious as none of them know what's happening. Then, Thomas arrives and explains that his driver has said that a very important visitor is to tour the island the day after tomorrow. All of the engines are very excited to hear this and they all want to be chosen to take the visitor. All of the drivers are soon cleaning their engines in the hope that they will be chosen to take the important visitor.
That night, there is a commotion in the in shed when all of the engine start to argue about who should be chosen. Henry says he is the smartest, but Daisy protests that the Fat Controller will choose a modern engine like her to impress the visitor. Gordon is positive that he will be chosen which sparks an argument between him and Daisy and keeps the other engines awake.
The next morning, both engines ask the Fat Controller who is going to take the important visitor. Both Gordon and Daisy are very surprised to learn that the visitor intends to tour the island in a helicopter.
- Annie and Clarabel
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Harold (cameo)
- The Visitor Special (mentioned)
- The second part of this story, Rumours and Speculation, was adapted into the fifth season episode, Thomas and the Rumours.
- In the first illustration, the lining on James' wheel-arch is yellow.
- In the second illustration, the coal in Thomas' bunker is coloured blue.
- In the seventh illustration, James is coloured blue.
- In some of the illustrations, Daisy's make-up is not very prominent.
- The tip of Harold's rotors should be red, not white.
- Annie has a white buffer beam.