"The WWII Movie" (possibly titled "Thomas the Tank Engine") is the fan-made term used to refer to the upcoming theatrical Thomas and Friends film that's currently due for release in 2013/2014.
The film takes place in London during World War II, and revolves around a pre-teen boy who has drifted apart from his father. The son is introduced into the world of Sodor, a place his father visited as a child but can't remember. There is a bonding experience.
It has also been confirmed that it will involve a steam engine versus Diesel engine confrontation.
- The movie was originally scheduled for a "late 2010" release, but was pushed back to Spring 2011, then to a 2012 release, and finally a 2014 release. However, according to an interview with UCLA Magazine, the movie will be released in 2013.
- The film will use a combination of live action (most likely humans) and CGI. Unlike the current seasons and specials however, it appears that Weta Digital instead of Nitrogen Studios will be supplying the CGI aspect of the film. The E2 portrayed in the teaser poster however was made by the Nitrogen team.
- The film will create it's own line of toys aimed at an older audience.
- WETA Workshop and Mattel Entertainment Design Group, the creative team behind the movie, are "re-imagining the core characters and the world in a way that will appeal to a wide kids and family audience."
- It appears that the movie will be distributed by Cinetic Media and UTA's Independent Film Group in conjunction with HiT Entertainment.